Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Kinda-Sorta Owning My Passion

This afternoon I got a text from Amanda...

"I auditioned this weekend for shows in Sun Valley and Disney wants me next season! I just wanted to thank you for your part in helping me get to goal!"

As I read her text, tears filled my eyes. I felt so genuinely happy for her success. 

She shot for the moon and caught a star instead. From her 15th birthday to 22, I watched her grow into a hard-working, dedicated athlete. I knew she would accomplish her goal. How? Because she wanted it more than anything else! 

Her enthusiasm for skating grew into an energy like she could hardly control her emotions when she stepped on to the ice. The fire only grew when we visited Sun Valley in the summer and she proclaimed it - Heaven.

Her aunt wanted her to quit. 

She kept skating anyway, sometimes 3 sessions a day, appreciating my prompting to send in her resume to the Sun Valley show director. "Even if I think I’m no good, or doubt that anyone will want me – I’m going to keep going."

I’m going to show myself that I can do it.
And she did this consistently, it built her self-esteem and a firm belief in her ability to actualize her dreams.
You see. Someday happened, you’re reading a post telling you she boldly declared herself a skater to a stranger (or scarier yet, a show producer), no apologies. She will post Disney On Ice as her work info on Facebook.
You’ll see her next year as a skating princess. We all will.
Peace, love and the bravery to proudly claim your passion,
B




{Janna and Amanda at her Novice moves in the field test (#6 out of 8)}