Saturday, June 13, 2009

Spring Cleaning

I have been cleaning out my closet today. All those clothes that either don't fit me anymore or I haven't worn in three years are going to D.I. momentarily. I have also been going through the MOUNTAIN of papers and notebooks that all three boys brought home from school. I have had them piled up on the counter since school let out. So I could sort through them and save some for their scrapbooks. I guess it is just the rain, it makes me feel like doing a little spring cleaning.

I came across a paper that Max brought home that I could definitely use. It is entitled:


Word Choice

A Definition

In good writing, the word choice is clear, precise and colorful. It is
marked by thoughtful selection of that "just right" word that conveys both the
meaning and attitude the writer wishes to project. Good writers learn to spend
words like money, making each one count. They also learn that strong verbs give
writing energy, while truckloads of adjectives and adverbs do little more than
weigh the text down. Strong word choice is free of ponderous, heavy language,
written only to impress. It's also free of fluffy language: nice, fun,
wonderful, great
. It is clean, clear, and to the point - sometimes
quotable.

I feel like I probably need to go back to fourth grade to learn how to write without using 'fluffy" language. lol

Hey, I am working on it. :)