Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Be Nice?


Last week, my friend AMD raised a healthy debate on her blog on whether it is more important to be honest or nice.



Every situation is different. Having said that, I do believe in being nice in general...



Now, I'm obviously not going to name names, but there is someone that is somewhat related to me for the past several years, that is not nice to me! And I can 100% say that I have always been extremely friendly to her. Out of my way friendly. In fact at the last "family" gathering, she walked right by me and flat out didn't even acknowledge me. In my opinion, that...is not nice!!!


Listen, I understand that not everyone is going to like everyone. Even me. In fact, I know I have done plenty of things the wrong way. I do try to apologize and be nice to everyone. That is mostly grounded in the fact that I really like people. Even if we don't mesh on having the same values or want to chat on a daily basis, I think I can find the good in most everyone. It is always there, you just have to look for it.


At least I try.


But, I just don't get unfriendly people. And...I am no longer buying the "she's a little shy...or socially awkward or that's just her personality" crap! If you have known someone for several years, you can crawl out of your shell and possibly glance in their direction, let alone acknowledge the air that they breath is within 3 feet of yours. Especially when they seem to have no social repression as they are chatting away with all the other people around. It gets tiring always being the person to break the ice.



As I was thinking about that though, maybe that is why she is acting that way. I mean perhaps, just perhaps, it is me that is causing that reaction in her. If I take a step back and look at the situation from her perspective maybe she doesn't like me because I am always friendly and she doesn't think that I am being genuine or something. The truth is I am a friendly person, but maybe that bugs her. OR maybe, she just doesn't like me and is being honest in her actions in not talking to me? I don't know, just some of the thoughts I have had when contemplating her behavior.



Anyways, when I read my friends blog, it kind of hit a nerve I guess. Sorry about that. Can't we just be honest and nice?!!! .....