Sunday, June 24, 2012

73 Reasons Why I Love My Dad

My Dad turned 73 today and I can hardly believe it. 73. It just sounds so old but my Dad is anything but old - often putting much younger people to shame. He is a giver and if you could define my Dad in one word it would be generous. He is generous with his time, talent and his wisdom. He is always there for me and for everyone in our family. So here is my list... the 73 ways my Dad rocks!

1. He is loyal.
2. He is honest - better be careful what you ask him!
3. He is extremely intelligent.
4. He is very, very FUNNY!
5. He is supportive - even if he thinks you are taking on too much...
6. He is hard-working... too hard-working. I will never get my Dad to retire.
7. He is reliable. You can count on my Dad for anything.
8. He is generous. Too generous. Many people can attest to this.
9. He is strict. And while I used to hate this trait I have come to appreciate how it helped shape my life.
10. He is dedicated.
11. He is a good listener.
12. He is curious. He has a passion for learning and educating himself and others.
13. He is patient - especially with the grand kids and Cole.
14. He is a good dancer. He can cut a rug and you don't have to ask him twice to dance.
15. He likes to sing - and he has broken out into song for a few thousand people...
16. He likes to eat - BUTTER ON EVERYTHING. I am pretty sure I didn't get his metabolism.
17. He enjoys sports of every kind.
18. He is pretty fast on skates and was a pro.
19. He can whistle louder than anyone I know.
20. He can drive while sleeping.
21. He cried at my wedding.
22. He has a soft spot for his grandkids.
23. He would never throw someone under a bus to better himself. He gets where he is going on merit alone.
24. He is grateful for what he has in his life.
25. He is a very good dad.
26. All dogs respect my Dad.
27. He tells funny jokes.
28. He believes in good old-fashioned hard-work.
29. He makes my Mom feel needed.
30. He makes other Dads look boring.
31. He pushed me to be better than I thought I could be.
32. He does not believe in excuses. I learned this the hard way...
33. He likes blondes.
34. He is a pretty good salesman. He really did sell an igloo to an Eskimo.
35. He knows how to have a good time.
36. He likes to read.
37. He likes to teach the grandchildren "stuff".
38. He still has an amazing aim when shooting his guns.
39. He is very strong. He carries other people's problems and does not complain.
40. He knows how to be a good conversationalist.
41. He is humble.
42. He is not a quitter and he won't let you quit either. Be warned!
43. He is a fighter.
44. He served his church.
45. He serves his family.
46. He makes time for writing... lots and lots of time.
47. He is good at building stuff. Ultra-light airplanes, teepees, jump harnesses, and that makes him cool.
48. He believes you get what you pay for.
49. He helped us girls shop... and he was so patient!
50. Buried under that accountant facade is an entrepreneur.
51. He knows that my Mom is always right. :)
52. He is optimistic in the face of adversity.
53. He is a great Grandpa. The kids adore him. All of them. Especially Cole.
54. He is a good brother.
55. He was a very good nephew.
56. He is a good Uncle.
57. He is a good husband. Just ask my Mom.
58. He is a good teacher - even with stubborn "know-it-all" children. Lol
59. He enjoys a good plate of liver and onions.
60. He loves the constitution. He dreams of producing a video about it. I dream of helping him.
61. He loves horses. He loved breaking them.
62. He appreciates well placed sarcasm.
63. He never asks for anything. Even if you beg him to tell you what he wants.
64. He is passionate about life.
65. He only wants you and everyone you know to own a gun. Saved his life and our families.
66. He took his young family across the United States in the 70s so we could experience life.
67. He will sacrifice everything for his family. He has. He could have had that video (see #60). But instead we had private skating lessons, dancing lessons, music lessons, swimming, piano, gymnastics, horseback riding, and oh a little thing called college - paid for part of it and more.
68. He has traveled the world.
69. He still has all of his own hair!
70. He thinks math and science are the two most important subjects. EVER.
71. He believes in his children.
72. He believes in his grandchildren.
73. He won't accept no for an answer if the "no" hurts his family.

He is my dad and I love him more than he'll ever know. I am so grateful to have parents that have devoted themselves to life, love and raising children. What a gift they are to me and everyone who meets them. I am so blessed. I would never have survived these last few years without their endless support. I wish everyone could have a Dad (and of course my equally fabulous Mom) - like them.