Friday, August 5, 2016

Dear Morgen


{I want to tell you a secret}

I know it’s your finals week and you probably don't like that. But (I’m so sorry to admit this) I really kind of love it. I love that you get your computer out after class everyday so you can study for the next group project. I love the time we get together and the opportunity we have to grab lunch and just talk without anyone else around.
I want you to know how I feel and remember these words, because they will always be current and never changing. You are the greatest thing that ever happened to me. 
Anyway, I AM going to take this opportunity to ‘Carpe Diem’ and stop what I’m doing to appreciate you on your 21st birthday.

21 Reasons I Love My Son … on his 21st Birthday

  1. I'd rather see your smile than anything else.
  2. When other people really need your help, you give it … without having to be asked.
  3. You're close with your brothers. They love you more than you will ever know.
  4. You’re neat. Don’t think that inherited trait isn’t appreciated by me.
  5. You’re a great student especially now that you're in college.
  6. You have an artistic ability that I admire.
  7. You’re curious. And you have been for as long as I can remember. You want to know why things happen, why they don’t or sometimes just why.
  8. People naturally like you. I’ve heard it all my life. My parents roll their eyes when I talk about problems involving you as if to say, “Morgen??? Please.”
  9. You repeatedly put up with my requests to help pick out a Halloween pumpkin, Christmas shop and watch movies with Marko and me.
  10. There's nothing that I'd rather hear than your laughter.
  11. You really talk to me, your dad, your brothers, your grandparents, etc. Never stop doing that, please.
  12. You remember things. Sure, this might not always be in my favor. But, ultimately, it’s what earned you one of your earliest nicknames (Marlin) and it lets me know you’re paying attention.
  13. You like cooking and preparing food. I like it because it’s something we can do together.
  14. You’re polite. Which makes me feel like I’m doing something right. Even though we both know I probably had nothing to do with it.
  15. You’re a constant reminder to me that I need to slow down. 
  16. You possess a strong need to be a leader, often taking the initiative to lead, not only our home but others, to guide your group or to decide what was going to be played with your friends. You could lead your generation to living with purpose. 
  17. It didn’t take me long to see that you influenced the atmosphere of our home. A bad day could be good, quickly. You could bring music into our home with one melody. You could influence your brothers to do anything you desired to do with you. You can encourage and motivate anyone needing a little encouragement or direction.
  18. Even when the things you did were wrong, you still stood strong in your belief that you could convince me otherwise. There is a field between right doings and wrong doings - I'll meet you there. - Rumi
  19. Relationships have always been so important to you and you're very loyal to the people in your life, even if these people weren’t the best influence on your young heart. You are the best kind of friend and there even when you're studying for finals on your bed with your friends by your side. 
  20. It doesn’t matter what the situation is or who is involved, you have been very passionate from the beginning of your life. You would sing loudly, play hard, study deeply, research more to learn about your interest, even if said research was to convince me to let you quit playing an instrument, be there first if I was hurt or needing help. Basically unstoppable to becoming the best you could be.
  21. From the moment you first laid in my arms, you melted right into my heart. 
After 21 years, I'm proud of the man you have become, and no matter what happens, I have confidence in your ability to make choices. I love you.  - Mom