Thursday, May 24, 2018

How To

redefine yourself

He grew tired

He started complaining about small things. He started feeling like he was stuck, like he’d be doing this forever, like this amazing/incredible gift of a life no longer suited him, like his life had shrunk down a bit, or he’d wanted it to shrink down a bit, and this operation, this whole big wide dress of a gig was too big. He was swimming in fabric.
I told myself my feelings were normal, slightly entitled even. It’s called a leaving the nest, Brenda, not a joy. You don’t have to love it.
And I don’t have to love it, sure. Boys grow up to become men.
But what if I could shift it, just a little? Tailor the dress? Take it in an inch, maybe two?
Could it fit again? Was this salvageable? He had to move out to find out. And so he rented an apartment with Preslee and his friend Nathan and begun his new trimmed down life.