Monday, October 14, 2019

Plugged

We can complain about our phones, our addictions, our inability to disconnect from the screen for hours. We can blame technology for the wrong ways we use it.
Or we can, simply, change the ways we use it.

I used to be Scrooge about my phone. I’d leave it at home for days in a row, letting it ding and vibrate and flash unanswered. It was a bother, a chore. A distraction.
And then it fell in the toilet (ah, I know).
And I changed my mind.

I often wonder what I’m doing with the time I’ve saved using my phone. I can check on Morgen at the hospital through an app and he arrives two days later, wrapped in scrubs, straight to the new center's door.
Did I save any time?
Or did I simply replace it with something else?

It’s easier to complain about others than it is to complain about ourselves. The expectations are too high. I can’t keep up. Now I have to Twitter? And no way, I can’t quit Facebook; I’d be too out of the loop.
Listen. Join Instagram, or don’t. (I chose to, for now.) Quit Facebook, or don’t. (I quit ten years ago and haven’t looked back.)
It’s your choice.

We can continue to blame technology for our lack of self-governing, or we can choose to be grateful for the mobility it offers.