Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bunko

I just had the yummiest soup at my friend Julie's for Bunko tonight. Julie is such a good cook and posted this recipe on her blog so I could have it, thanks Julie!

Corn and squash soup

1 medium onion
1 celery rib, chopped
2 T. all purpose flour
1 can (14 ½ oz.) chicken broth
6 C. mashed cooked butternut squash
2 Cans cream style corn
2 C. half-and-half (I use fat free)
1 T minced fresh parsley
1 ½ t. salt
½ t. pepper
Sour cream, optional

Sauté onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the squash, corn, cream, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through. Garnish with sour cream if desired. I always double this recipe.

Julie's house was all decked out for Halloween - I wish I would have remembered my camera to take a photo. Bunko was fun even though I didn't win anything. It was fun to meet some new friends as well, Gwen (Goodson) McNeil and I forget the other girls name - anyways fun times!