Sunday, February 10, 2013

Am I Nice?

It’s a fair question if you’re me.

I’ve never been the type of friend who tells you your skating dress is gorgeous when it’s obviously showing every bit of flab on your body.

And I’ll never just sit back and watch you make decisions in your life that will take you on a path away from Heavenly Father without telling you in no uncertain terms that you are being an idiot.

So does that make me nice? Before you decide, hear me out.

My sweet friend Kate,
and her daughter Lizzy
I’m not like this with everyone. In order to justify my honest comments you have to have made it to the rank of “best friend” which means that we already know the good, the bad and the ugly about each other and yet for some reason we still choose to hang out. With those I rank as mere acquaintances I’m tactful, smiling, polite and decidedly mediocre in my comments, but in my desires to meddle or even know about their lives, I don’t really care enough. But with my best friends, those people I truly love and care for, I invest a piece of myself in their well-being. Kate, my friend, piano teacher and skating student showed up at the rink last month after not seeing her for over nine months and I still felt like I could cry with her in her struggles and rejoice with her in her triumphs, and today I got an email from her saying I’m always here if you need me, no matter what. So when those people ask how I am doing or involve me in their struggles, I think I owe it to them to give an honest answer or an honest opinion – isn’t that what separates them from being just acquaintances? Isn’t that what shows them that I truly do love them? Honesty?

I live by the saying that if you’re going to stab someone you love, it’s best to do it in their front. There’s no joy in telling someone you love something that you know will not be pleasant to their ears, but every so often it’s just got to be done. “The other dress was better”, “Is going back to school worth what you’re giving up?” and “When was the last time you said a prayer?” are all blunt little statements that have come out of our mouths only to be greeted by silence. We will however, hold off stabbing you with our opinions until you ask for it, mostly, and if you’re really, really lucky sometimes we can even manage to do it with some tact. Like when Kate knew I was struggling with Morgen over taking piano lessons, she sweetly gave me the book, Anatomy of Peace, for Christmas. (Seriously, a life changing book, if you haven't read it, go get it today. It is THAT good.) But if the situation somehow gets to the point where my opinion is called for, you better be prepared for my honest one because that’s exactly what you’re going to get – as your best friend I love you enough to give it.

So does this make me a nice person? Or does this make me a great best friend? (Obviously I’m hoping for the latter, but you can be honest!)