Saturday, June 11, 2016

24 Years Ago Today



When we had our last dance as daddy and daughter, I couldn't hold back the tears. He whispered in my ear how much he loved me. He told me that my only job was to know deep within my soul that I am of worth, infinite worth. If I could remember that everyone else is of worth than the battle of my life would be won. But that was a talk for another day. If I could trust my worth in that way, I would stay attractive in the most important sense of the word: attracting a man who is both capable of interest and who wants to spend his one life investing all of his interest in me. I care if he ties his shoes, the same way I care that he puts his eyes on the way your nose scrunches when you smile. And then can't stop looking. I care that he can play with the children you give him and revel in all the glorious and frustrating ways they are just like you. I care that he provides for you -- that is he provides for your heart and it always leads you home. I care that he is strong -- the strength to give you space to exercise the strength that is in your heart. I care that he is political -- and daily elects you to a place of honor in your home and a place of reverence in his heart. I care that he paints -- your lives with patience, sacrifice and tenderness. I care that he was raised in the religion of Jesus Christ -- raised to love you with grace, and every moment of life with you, is deeply sacred. Even if he and I have nothing else in common, we will have the most important thing: you. Because my sweet girl, the only thing you need to remember to keep a man interested, is to be you.