Friday, March 27, 2020

12 Pizzas: A Series

Baking Our Way Through The Year Ahead



This is the story of a girl who was hungry. 



For what, I am oft unsure. But after decades of turning down carbs, of declaring a war against cheese, of craving veggies over salty at first glance, well? It appears I’ve changed my mind, and very much so.

Just this week, I have pulled the following from my oven: a lovely Margherita, lightly browned and rising inches beyond its’ stone girdle. A smooth, decadent tomato-less, a pint of macerated onions nearby for glazing. An egg and bacon honey pizza with hand-cut mozzarella, packed lovingly into a convection oven with a baking stone.

In truth, I can’t tell you what’s come over me. I can only tell you that my mixing bowl once reserved for an occasional hand-kneading of bread now has deep scratches from dripping whisks, metal mixers, golden tasting spoons.

I can only tell you, too, that I plan to never stop.

12 cakes, pizzas. One per month, although I’ve admittedly been “testing” roughly three a week. I’ll save my favorites for you, my leftovers for (very pleased) neighbors.

The first crowdpleaser is up next week, and in preparation, here are a few supplies I’ve been ever-reliant on since this phase (obsession?) sparked last month:



And so, in the spirit of delicious simplicity, these made the cut (click image to peruse the recipe):




S U P P L I E S

Four months ago, I didn’t own a pizza stone. (Fun fact: it is not an unlikely experience to see Martin mixing pizza dough by hand.) And yet: is this newfound hobby just a phase? He doesn't want to use a pricy stand mixer in the name of a 4-minute time savings?

Short answer: nope.

For the novice bakers out there, here’s all I’ve needed to dip my oven mitts into the world of pizza, pizza, glorious pizza:













Don’t ever let anyone tell you baking requires schmancy supplies. Just add parchment paper, deal?

Up next week: triple-layer jam and frosting cake, or more aptly named – The Thank-Your-Weary-Home-School-Teacher-Cake. Best served with a side of hugs and plastic forks.

But first, a reminder for us all — May we be ever-surprised by our own capacity for change.

Here’s to rolling out the dough, every last bit of it.