Monday, November 16, 2020

5 New Recipes


You can tell we’re in a cooking rut if you visit our kitchen at 5pm on any given weekday and find us all dining on pepperoni and apples, a handful of almonds straight from the bag. It’s our families unofficial back-up meal, swooping in to save the eve for our other unofficial back-up meal (breakfast for dinner, always), and well, when I’m tiring of my back-up’s back-up? It’s time to shake things up.

If you, too, are feeling bored in the kitchen and need a few healthy recipes to add to your arsenal, here are 5 new dishes we tried (and loved!) last week…

Quick Sicilian Eggs and Spinach 


Eggs are in regular rotation over here, so I’m always up for trying a new rendition on a forever favorite. This one was flavorful and delicious, with a winning cream-based sauce I’d absolutely drink for dessert. (Tip: Martin swapped the bacon for sausage because I was fresh out, and it was just as divine!) Enjoy!

Kids can help with: Cracking eggs, whisking cream.


Banana Curry


Whenever I’m in the thick of a cooking rut, I’ll look to Martin for a few meals to teach me a new flavor or technique. This one was simple with a handful of ingredients we already keep on hand, so re-creating it will be a breeze. Plus, the whole recipe took just 20 minutes. Win/win.

Kids can help with: Mashing bananas, seperating the cauliflower.
Full recipes here.



Best Creamed Spinach

I’ve been on the hunt for a simple creamy spinach recipe since I first botched a fancier version on a Sun Valley vacation over two years ago. For me, simple is best, and this one’s both delicious and easy (made even easier if you sub for frozen spinach!).

Kids can help with: Stirring spinach, measuring spices.

Roasted Green Bean Stew

When I visited Berlin, Ratskeller Köpenick was my favorite restaurant, if only for the savory green bean stew. Last season, Martin unearthed his mom’s official cookbook to recreate the German specialty, and while I’m certain his version is better, this one’s an irresistible replacement until our next visit.

Kids can help with: Snapping the green beans, seasoning the pan with salt & pepper.


Creamy Gluten-Free Pancakes

Martin served this dish for dinner guests last year and even the skinniest physicist happily lapped it up. It’s both gluten-and nut-free but tastes completely indulgent with the help of briny zucchini and bursting with carrots. A definite crowdpleaser.

Kids can help with: Grating potatoes, whisking eggs.


Tell me, what are you cooking up in your kitchen these days? I’d love to hear!