Thursday, September 30, 2010

Some Questions This Fine Thursday Morn

Over breakfast this week with one of my really smart friends, a question came up… Although I can’t quite articulate the question without a rapid-fire series of questions like these:


Is there anything better than people who accept us for who we are?


Friends who know our weaknesses but laugh them off and frankly forgive us?

The consensus over bagels was that she does. I have asked her to meet me for breakfast or lunch several times, and every single time, she answers, “Sure. When do you want to go?” So we had breakfast and went our separate ways.

But here’s the thing, she sent me this text: Alright I can’t stop thinking about you! It sounds like we need to go to breakfast again or on a hike soon so we can talk.

It means a lot to me. In this world where people scream at others for making a wrong turn or choosing the wrong word or neglecting the tiniest detail, it is so refreshing to know people who say– “You’re fine.” “I know you’re doing your best.” “It’s OK.”

Second Thursday of every month, for the last fifteen years she has been one of these sweet people. It’s part of the rhythm of our month.

And I’m especially grateful for these people– they laugh off my quirks and work around my weaknesses.