Sunday, September 19, 2010

State Fair


Whitney, Markus & Max at the State Fair yesterday


Nadalynn, Tori, Whitney & Candie


I went to the State Fair yesterday for the first time in eight years. It was my niece Tori's 17th birthday and she wanted to go. She used to love to go there as a little girl when my mom would babysit her. I recall from childhood – or from reading to my own children – E. B. White’s story of the spider Charlotte and her campaign to save Wilbur, a barnyard pig. Charlotte wove webs above Wilbur’s sty proclaiming the pig’s virtues in words – “terrific,” “radiant,” and “humble” – she copied from newspaper advertisements salvaged by a rat named Templeton. Wilbur, Charlotte wrote in her web, was “some pig.” He won a prize at the fair. Moved by these events, Zuckerman, the farmer who owned Wilbur, did not slaughter the pig for Christmas dinner. Charlotte saved Wilbur’s life.“Why did you do all this for me?” the pig asks at the end of Charlotte’s Web. “I don’t deserve it. I’ve never done anything for you.”

“You have been my friend,” Charlotte replied. “That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what’s a life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die. A spider’s life can’t help being something of a mess, what with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a little. Heaven knows, anyone’s life can stand a little of that.”