Sunday, May 26, 2013

XOXO


If you are going to go to the trouble of showing up unexpectedly to a loved one, I say to really show up. Not only be physically present, but mentally and emotionally present, as well.

Let me put it like this …

When Grandpa sat at his Max’s baseball game, I am pretty sure he wasn’t on his Smart phone the entire time. (I know because he doesn't even own one!) He wasn’t sending text messages, checking email, or playing “Words with Friends.” Grandpa wasn’t sitting on the stands totally engrossed in “The Help,” or “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” nor was he talking with the spectators around him.
When Grandpa showed up, every part of him showed up. He was THERE … not simply looking like he was there when he was really somewhere else.

Today I cleared my schedule. And set aside stuff that can wait. Took a break from my duties and work pressures and simply arrived at my parents house in Heber. I arrived where I was least expected, but most welcomed.

Look at your calendar right now.

There are a couple hours just waiting to be filled with the words, “Just show up.”


Decide who and where … then DO it … really do it.

The act of showing up is who you are today and a legacy you leave behind tomorrow.
I think it’s worth it to show up … do you?