Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Change The World

I would have missed a thousand conversations that just come when one sits still and waits for words to come.

But I didn’t miss any of them.

Thanks to him. 



As he began the conversation, unexpected tears fell on my kitchen counter. With clarity, I realized his transformation was secondary to an even bigger story—a story that could quite possibly bring solace and hope to those wondering if they too could let a loved one just be.




Thursday my son is received his scholarship award from his sophomore college year. He is a voracious reader and loves helping his friends who struggle. He was awarded the scholarship for his work in Graphic Arts—a program designed by his teacher for students who complete their classwork with exceptional quality and enjoy self-guided learning projects. My son was expecting about three or four hundred dollars for his work this past semester. When he opened the check that came in the mail he was completely shocked to find it for ten times that amount. He's never missed a class.  


But here’s the news worth celebrating …

My son takes time to hug me, hold doors open for strangers, and play with the cat. He visits his grandparents and finds it perfectly normal to have conversations that last for thirty minutes. When he gives birthday gifts, he buys them with his own money. He searches the scriptures in great detail, never forgetting to take pictures of his favorite ones. He remembers people’s names, asks questions, and listens intently. He notices in photos of friends captured beauty my critical eyes fail to see.

On Sunday the two of us had a long talk. As I struggled to fall in line with his line of reasoning, I reminded myself who I was with. I reminded myself it was time to listen and learn from the greatest Life Coach I’ve ever known.

About midway through our talk, my son said, “When my friends on Facebook post pictures, I've noticed that they looked so happy before and now bam. There’s a concaved look in their cheeks. Can you see that? Plants that Jesus put on the earth to make you come eye to eye with Satan! That is what I've been sitting on my bed and studying today.”

And as I do multiple times a day, I closed my tearful eyes and thanked God for this child who reminds me to look for the blessings in unexpected places. I can't help but consider what life would be like if I’d chosen to tell my son that mistakes were bad. Where would we be? The world would have two less Livers of Life. Our hearts would be less fulfilled. I would not be the mother I am today. His life could have very well been cut short. Instead, I am blessed to experience the joys of life that used to elude me. But thanks to my son, I don’t miss them anymore.

So to the spiritual people of the world and those who are blessed to raise them, I say this:

Thank you for being. You are an anomaly in this fast paced world. And we need you. We desperately need you …