Sunday, September 25, 2016

Senior Year


{Senior Year for these beauties: Bucky, Aaron and Jake}

The years between 17-20 are times of huge transition, as a young man adjusts to becoming an adult. It can be confusing and stressful, a time when they're trying to figure out what they want to do with the rest of their life. Even though Bucky isn't working, he's still trying to juggle school work with working out and hockey practices nine times a week. I hope that this year will be as care free as he remembers it to be. I want to take advantage of the time and do all I can to pursue my sons and become their biggest support system and cheerleader.

Here's some ways that I try to serve my young adults, who are both seniors, one in high school and one in college now:


  • I sometimes surprise them by cleaning their room during a week that is particularly busy (mid-terms, a big paper is due, going out of town for hockey tournaments).
  • On certain days, busy days I guess, I will do their chores for them.
  • I make sure their favorite snacks are in the fridge.
  • I will buy their favorite candy, and leave it on their pillow.
  • Even though they both do their own laundry, sometimes I will do it for them just to help them.
  • I love grabbing lunch with them on a spontaneous lunch date. 
  • Sometimes, if they're studying I'll bring them a snack. 
  • In the morning when Morgen is leaving for school, I will sometimes bring him a glass of oj. 
  • I make sure that they know our home is always open for them to bring their friends over. 
  • On Saturday mornings (when I'm not working) I make sure the house is quiet so they can sleep in a little. 
  • As they run in and out of the house, in between school and hockey, I make sure I tell them I love them, that they are important, and ask how they are doing. 
  • I ask how I can help them, to make a busy day more bearable. 
  • Sometimes I take them out for ice cream just because. 
  • If they're hanging out at home with a friend, occasionally I will suggest that we jump in the car, and I treat them to McDonald's dollar menu. 
  • I make an effort to get to know their friends (and said friends call me 'mom' in the process). 
  • I treat them with r e s p e c t. They are young adults. 
  • Sunday mornings I make their favorite breakfast, since most mornings we are all grabbing breakfast on the run. And make sure we are connecting as a family and keeping caught up on each other. 
  • I let them know that we're on the same team and I want to help them. We work together to come up with a plan and I try to respond with grace if they are struggling in any thing. 
  • I text them and tell them I love them.
  • I look for opportunities to talk with them and ask what's on their minds, and just be generally available. 
I have an amazing calling as a mom, and I'm so glad it didn't just end when they became young adults. There are so many fun ways to bond with them as they are growing up. They are unique, they're not me. I need to remember that and find ways to help them succeed in becoming the men they're meant to be. What are your ideas for supporting them and encouraging them as they transition into the next season of their lives?