Wednesday, January 27, 2021

An Open Letter

 Dear readers, friends and family:

My son's friend passed away yesterday, in the wee hours of the morning. For those of you who know me well, you’ll know that my son and his hockey friends are closer to family. For the past almost-fourteen years, we’ve been living for hockey, playing at home and doing our best to take care of everything else.

You guys, I can’t even begin to explain what a shock this is to our hockey family. His loss will be devastating, and I know I’ll need some time to grieve, comfort and care for my son and my son’s hockey family. Although this is hard to type, I need you to know something:

Markus has been my crutch in this, whether he realizes it or not. Watching a loved one grieving and feeling so helpless is one of the heaviest experiences of life, and being able to fill my head space with his positivity, his inspirational moment of silence that he announced and organized tonight before the game has created a balance that I know has carried me through this time.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t add that there is a grander design at work here. I rarely talk about religion here, but I suppose Logan’s death has opened my eyes to a larger design — that of the human spirit, his timing and a bigger universe where we’re all connected.

And for me, that is the ultimate gratitude.


Thank you for your support. I’ll be checking in here periodically this week and will return Monday.


Love to you all.