Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Born To Lead

Congrats, Captain. 


His last few years of high school have flown by, specifically because he was captain of the hockey team and has sold his soul to morning practices, weight lifting and boys in hockey gear. And if you know anything about hockey gear, then you know everything about hockey gear. It smells, it’s wet and it sometimes turns white-ish.




Mid-season of his senior year in high school, his coach decided it would be fun to make a senior night celebration, Tim, who we properly know as Timmer, who promptly rented the ice, which was promptly given to the rest of us.

Anyway. The rental was to see just how long we could milk it for posters OR posing in front of them before the zamboni break. I did the math, and I was quite sure I could tape up the posters Monday night, considering Markus is the captain, and well, his shoulder is still hurting at times.


Yet the scrimmage game came and went, and he proudly won the title of Captain, giving his mom flowers. It was simply irresistible.

The Senior Night, I bet, as the end of school is fast approaching again and who knows how COVID known as the messy, smelly-stinky destructor of normalcy, will affect all other typical senior celebrations. Yet Markus continued to play with his injured shoulder (typical boy behavior, yes?) until districts this year. In February. And hopefully it won't all fall apart like last year.



I don’t have to tell you what it felt like to my sweet son during the short-lived four weeks of non-playing and practicing. I will tell you that the result of the night was not unlike that of a sheep preparing itself for the groomers: energized and in a very good mood.





I will also tell you that the terms of the night? We’ll just say it involved a real fan-club and a sudden incline in Markus’s popularity.



Above is a snippet of my hope-to-be-published memoir, Markusfanography. If you know of a publisher that’s nice and likes silly girls, please email me!