Friday, February 26, 2010

Olympic Memories


I was watching the Olympics Ladies Freeskating Program tonight and it brought back some amazing memories from 8 years ago when the Olympics were here. My sister-in-law Sandie gave my mom and I tickets to the Ladies Final - with Michele Kwan skating for the second time for the Gold. When she took the ice for her warm-up I was so nervous for her. When she didn't perform to the best of her ability I felt so badly for her. All that work for four more years, to get the bronze, poor thing. I was happy for Sarah Hughes who won the gold, but it was a very disappointing night for Michelle. 

As amazing as this night was, it still didn't compare to participating in the Opening and Closing Ceremonies and being a part of Olympic history. I will remember for decades to come the extraordinary ceremonies. It took a huge commitment, some flexibility and a whole lot of positive attitude through out the process to make it a success. I think the best part was working with all the volunteers who cared as much about the project and gave more of their time and energy than anyone I had ever seen. Just to be a part of that remarkable contribution and participating in the ceremonies, truly was an opportunity of a lifetime and I came away from that experience with a sense of pride and accomplishment and heartfelt thanks and appreciation for the brilliant achievement that is the Olympics.