Saturday, November 27, 2010

Making Friends

Today I spent the day traipsing from one side of the mall to the other. My long-time friend is in town, I had the day off of work; her mom was also here for the day, it was the last day of the long weekend so we decided to make a day of it. We explored a new store, visited a fancy boutique where we tried on shoes after enjoying lunch at our favorite Cheesecake Factory. (Bonus that we split three things on the menu for less than $15.)


We ended the day picking up their new purchases from J. Crew. There’s always something cute at J. Crew. This experience got me thinking, as my time with friends often does. I’d spent the day sharing time, good food, and conversation with a friend I’ve known since I was twelve. She took a long drive to come and spend time with me. And at the end of the day I picked up one son from his friend's house when I took his brother home from our house where he was watching the game with another son. Max's friend came over after the third game of the tournament today (which by the way was a close one, Lightning still won 1-0. Since the playoffs are tomorrow and our team is ranked #2 after the first three games we will be playing the #3 team tomorrow to decide who goes on to the championship game).


I don’t know how philosophical I can wax here, but doesn’t there seem to be a cosmic connection? Isn’t it cool that people out there want to make connections? Meet new people? Be friends? Hang out? I like it! We need friends; we want to be connected; it’s not really that hard to do and yet it takes some doing.

How have you made your closest friends? How do you keep those friendships thriving? How do you meet new people?