Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Today's a New Day

Today I sat in the dentist chair with the drill humming in the background and I made a resolve NEVER to eat sugar again. I didn't have any cavities, and my dentist gave me a perfect score. And I promised I would keep flossing everyday. I swear I’m vigilant with my kids’ teeth so that they don’t have to endure agony in the chair. I carried home extra toothbrushes and packs of mini floss to put in the basket for house guests. I tell my boys that it’s hard enough to stay on top of regular bills, without adding the dentist’s car payment to the list.

It’s not the first time I’ve made these promises. And they happen elsewhere, too. When I face the doctor at my physical, I promise myself that I will be better at performing my monthly S.B.E. As I reflect on the pattern of promises in my life, I need to know where to file them. Under what category do these resolutions fall? I don’t remember a commandment about brushing and flossing. I suppose that having stewardship for our bodies means taking care of our teeth. I’m grateful for my teeth. And second chances. And time to reflect, and learn from the past. So today, I choose to be thankful for the chance to improve. And for repentance. And for my dentist. And I promise not to kick myself when I’m down. Because the realist in me knows that the sugar thing probably won’t last much past the pie on the thanksgiving table in a little over a week.

What promises have escaped your lips? Are you as familiar with your dentist as I am with mine? What are you grateful for today?