Saturday, January 29, 2011

My Love/Hate Relationship With The Treadmill

ten things I hate about the treadmill
  1. i feel dizzy and unbalanced at the start of each treadmill season while i get used to this machine again.
  2. it's so loud. whether it's the churning of the belt or the slapping of my feet, the treadmill is just loud.
  3. there is no variety in my workouts. that's my fault, i know, and i'm learning new workouts (see # 5 & #6 below)
  4. it's hard to get a drink of water when i can't slow down just a bit. past results have included a sputtering and spilling of water down my front.
  5. thoughts of a hamster running in circles often come into my head.
  6. while on the treadmill at the gym i'm surrounded by mysterious smells and a workout "neighbor" who always ups their pace whenever i do.
  7. i can't convince myself that this terrain is good for my body.
  8. a 3-mile run feels like a 3-hour run.
  9. i can't take molly with me
  10. i just miss the invigorating feeling of running outside.
ten reasons i'm trying to love the treadmill
  1. i live in a cold climate. winters include snow, slush, ice, wind, poor air quality and brain freezing temps.
  2. i can get in a good workout anytime and i don't need to check the class schedules.
  3. my current news updates are always on the tv.
  4. there is less laundry. a tank top and shorts take less room in the washing machine than tights, a turtleneck, a jacket, gloves, wool socks, and a hat.
  5. i can run hill repeats without first running 5 miles to the nearest hill.
  6. with the variety of treadmill settings, my legs may actually get a better workout than outside on the road.
  7. no need to worry about cars flying around the corner.
  8. there is always a bathroom close by.
  9. the belt doesn't slow down when i'm tired; i'm forced to keep up the pace.
  10. a good cardio session is possible any time of the day or night.