Monday, June 6, 2011

Summertime

Markus and Max at the Oval

With Derek Parra, Olympic Gold Medalist
On the first day of summer vacation, my friend Kelly set up a group speed skating lesson for Max, Markus and I along with her children and a couple of other friends. We meet out at the Oval and tried out speed skates for the first time. Our instructor was in the 2002 Olympics and won both a gold and a silver medal in his events. It was a lot like skating in figure or hockey skates, but with one exception, you go ALOT faster! It was really fun and I am looking forward to the rest of our lessons this week. Max and Markus were fearless on their skates and raced each other. Markus won the first race (one lap) and Max won the second (two laps). Markus told me as we were driving out there, "I don't want to take speed skating lessons. It is not like I am going to be a professional speed skater!" But once he tried it out he changed his mind, and I think he is excited to go back for more lessons at least. Fast feet on that little man.