Sunday, March 8, 2015

#Sunday #Challenge

Can you disconnect from all your gadgets?

 I know - how easy it is to be pulled into the cyberspace black-hole via -

  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • emails
  • homework

Every link is connected to something else and before you know it an hour or two has vanished from your life! Poof. gone. And you are sitting in exactly the same place, in your pajamas, and have not even brushed your teeth. *oh dear* What would happen if you turned off your phone (or at least turn it on silence) and did not carry it with you for a few hours?


What could you accomplish in this time without the distraction of filing your mind with images and other's voices?


How would the quality of your interactions change?


What would your thoughts be instead of comparing sparked by other people's various posts?

Today, I challenged myself to turn off my phone for at least 4 hours. For this time I did not keep it on me or pick it up to check it. Instead I went to church, napped, went for a roller-blade with my boys, and to my sister's without it. Without my phone, I could now look up. I saw:

  • my surroundings
  • the people I share these spaces with
  • eye contact
  • smiles
  • lips
  • flowers in bloom
  • dimples
  • buildings torn down
  • wow he looks happy
I was oblivious to many of these things when I was buried in my phone or other gadgets. I would have missed the subtle smile, or the flash of sadness in Morgen's eyes or the lingering gaze of his girlfriend. I miss the opportunity to connect. Information in cyberspace will be there forever, therefore it will be there when Max reconnects with it later after hockey practice. Or cleaning up the T.P. that his friends decorated our yard with last night. Give your mind breathing space. We are happy after logging off for 4 hours - see you later.