Monday, November 7, 2016

My Vote

2002 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremonies

Fourteen years ago I was in the Winter Olympics in the United States of America. Countries from all over the world watched and tuned in to follow their fellow athletes coming here to compete. It's crazy to witness how quickly the reputation of America has changed internationally. At the beginning of the opening ceremonies, it seemed every time I told a young athlete I was from here, they responded with awe inspired curiosity. The presidential election may have changed that, to humorous entertainment. No matter the outcome, this election will forever be a scar on America's history. 

This embarrassment might be a good thing though, from my experience, it seems many Americans believe that the USA is the greatest country in the world. A very dangerous belief. History has shown time and time again that anytime an individual or group believe themselves to be better than everyone else, terrible things happen. Maybe suffering through one terribly embarrassing presidential race will prevent that. 

I've been to 10+ countries - do I believe that USA is the greatest country in the world? No. Sure it's a great country filled with inspiring people, and while it is great at many things, it is not great at everything. I'm still proud to call myself an American, as I would be to say that I'm German, or Austrian,  Irish, English, or most anything. Every country I have visited is the greatest in the world at something. I've found the greatness of these countries has less to do with one political leader than it does with the people who live there in the communities. We the people, will determine what makes America great.

My faith in politicians was shattered when I was at the dress rehearsal for the opening ceremonies, where I had the opportunity to skate right before a private meeting with the President of the International Olympic committee and then director of the Olympic games, Mitt Romney. The 5 or so other professional ice skaters who attended this rehearsal were from all across America. I was there because as a young mom in college who didn't fully understand my self worth, I jumped at an opportunity to volunteer as an unpaid performer and skate in the sub-zero temperatures to practise for this important event. 

From the moment Mitt walked in, things got weird, and as his little processional went on, it just got more weird. The topic of his speech was supposed to be, How can we come together as a country after the tragedies of 911? (If only there had been a young student as a volunteer in the arena to share some kindness.) When the President walked across the ice to get to the stage, I jumped to my skates and offered my hand as he was wearing the fanciest slippery shoes I had ever seen. Mr. Romney just kept right on walking. Well, not really walking...better said, slipping. For 10 seconds he just slid across the freshly zambonied ice, oblivious to the fact that I was standing next to him offering to help him in his time of need. He finally regained his balance, and made it the rest of the 20 feet or so to the other side of the rink. He stood at the microphone and boasted about some cool stats that (90% of studies show that 90% of the country believes that people are good and kind 90% of the time ;)" Nonsense. I waited for him to close with a cheesy optimistic promise, then made his way around the circle of important people surrounding him to shake every one's hand. He missed me on his first go around, so I made my way to the exit from the ice to catch him if he fell, so to speak, on his next go on walking on frozen water. What happened next wasn't really a big deal, but at the moment it was a really big deal to me: He took his hand up to look at his watch, instead of making eye contact with the few volunteers who were left on the ice. He was too busy looking over his shoulder to make sure he didn't miss any of the "important" people in the arena. He smiled and waved at Sting and Yo-Yo Ma who had just finished playing the song that we were skating to. I felt like trash. 

Overtime when exposed to politics, it just feels alien and wrong. The whole charade just doesn't make sense. In my life so far, I've learned that when something feels uncomfortable and doesn't make logical sense, there is a good chance it isn't true. Probably even a lie. 

In a decent world it would be two great candidates working together to figure out who will be best for the job because we are one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. Hearing people cheer and shout when we elected our first black president is a favorite memory of mine. It's time for another first. 

Mrs Clinton

I dislike racism, sexism, bullying, hateful rhetoric, and violence more than anything else and it's affecting how I vote. Also, knowing what endurance, thick skin, hard work, and resilience it takes to be a successful woman with meaningful work is too. Being oppressed, silenced, judged, and mistrusted at times because I am a woman is disappointing. Because I would really love to do my best to stand up for the value and worth of every human being. Because clearly there are other major issues within our political system that need to be addressed.

Mr Trump

I dislike people who naturally bring out the worst in people. Even if he loses the election, he will leave our country with a slow healing scar. He thrives in the spotlight and his circus being clicked on by us to view his silly stories. The media just "reports" accordingly. 

Win or lose, this will be a great opportunity for every citizen in America to put their actions where their opinions are and live in a way that will keep America the great country we hope and believe it to be. What am I doing to make it better? What more can I do? Three things that come to mind...

1. My family - regardless of who the president is I have the opportunity and responsibility to lead our family with kindness, compassion and service. Family is free, open-minded, well educated, full of faith, hope, hard work, and welcoming to all. 

2. Positivity - news negativity paints a very dark picture of our world. Fortunately, old school news is dying and social media is growing. Anyone and everyone now has the opportunity to share their opinions, thoughts, and voice. Now, we all paint the picture of our world together. Sharing more happiness, and goodness can help drown out the darkness. 

3. Service - I'm extremely grateful to be an American. It's a privilege and a responsibility I feel to be a part of this country whose freedoms are only what I make of them. Am I working hard as a mother to create value?  As a nurse am I sharing goodness and inspiration with the world? Am I using these freedoms and blessings to serve others? 

I'm excited for the presidential election to end. Mostly because I'm excited for our country to focus less on how one individual might control the greatness of America and more on how WE THE PEOPLE can continue making our nation better together. But what do I know, I'm just the young skater standing on the ice with my hand out...

Sincerely, 

BB