Monday, December 19, 2016

An Exercise In Gratitude





It wasn’t until I approached my life from a gratitude perspective that it really started to take off. I began to realize that just because something didn’t sound like a big deal to others, that didn’t mean it was not special or important to me. Last month when I was talking to a nurse/friend at work, she reflected on it for a while and realized how grateful she was for the life she has lived and how she had requested her daughter to play a song at her funeral, a medley called Gratitude. (Link posted above)
What I didn’t expect was the wave of gratitude that came over me when I listened it in it’s entirety. What’s great about this life, is that I can still keep adding to it! (and I’m grateful for that too!)


BB's Grateful for Life List:

  • Lived in Utah (1984-2016)

One of the most amazing and cherished experiences of my life! I learned to speak English fluently, climbed mountains, played in forests, visited amazing lakes, made life-long friends, and learned to appreciate mormon culture. 

  • Lived & Worked in 48 different states
Moving around so much has definitely helped me to become more tolerant and understanding of different cultures and ways of life. I’ve skated in fast-paced big cities and slow-paced small towns where everyone knows your name.

  • Snorkeled the Rivers of Xcaret (Cancun)
Xcaret is amazing in it’s own right, but few people get to snorkel the back side. I was lucky enough that the winds and swells were low enough on the day we went, and therefore got to see the amazing view from the backside of the cove.

  • Went on the Stratosphere in Vegas
Talk about an adrenaline rush! In addition to the blast-off (which was incredible), the beauty of the sights are almost indescribable. The Hoover Dam, Lake Mead, the Colorado River, Red Rock Canyon, and the Valley of Fire… talk about a feast for the eyes!

  • Quit Red Meat (2016)

After being a meat eater for almost 15 years, I’m proud to say that I was finally able to quit earlier this year. Not having high cholesterol (it has gone down by 22 points) is one of the best feelings in the world!
  • Learned to Snowboard (1998)

OK, so I fell on my butt… a LOT! 


  • Ran a Marathon (1997, 2007)

Running: that one thing that I love and hate all at the same time. I actually stopped running for a long time but I’m happy to report that after the injection in my hip last week, I’m getting back into the swing of things and I’m hoping to run my third marathon next year!
  • Experienced & Overcame Divorce (2012)

This was one of those that I wasn’t sure about adding here. But gosh darn it, I am proud that I came out on the other side of it!

  • Started a Business (1986, 1992)

I’ve always had an entrepreneurial spirit. That’s not to say that I’ve always been successful though. In 1986 I started to teach my own students skating. I soon realized that I just couldn’t charge what I thought my time was worth. In 1992 I started a genealogy software business. Then I realized that I needed to start my own family not just keep track of other people's. Finally in 2015 I started my nursing career and I haven’t looked back since!

  • Learned to Sew & Quilt (1995)

In the last few months before my first son was born, I worked from home because quite frankly I was let go from the title company due to the economy and I had to find something to occupy my days and I turned to a class to teach me how to quilt. To this day it is one of my favorite memories making quilts for all my friends babies.

  • Saw the Mona Lisa in Paris (2004)

It's no secret that I'm obsessed with travel. I love to go everywhere and even have a travel journal in my possession. So when I was visiting Paris I had to go see her for myself. 

  • Became a Mother (1995, 1999, 2003)

The day that Morgen was born was the best day of my life. Finally getting to hold that baby (It's a boy!) that had been kicking around inside of me for 9 months was one I will never forget. Fun fact: he was born ten days past his due date… so worth it, that kid!

  • Tried a Triathlon...or 5 or 10! (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010)

I’ll admit it… I’m a sucker for swimming! There are lots of possibilities in my future too!

  • Started this Blog (2008)

I had always wanted to start a blog, believe it or not. What this blog has evolved into since then was beyond my wildest dreams and I’m so grateful every day that I did it!
  • Watched the Whales (1990)
I was lucky to visit the Bahamas when I graduated from high school and even luckier to get the opportunity to swim with whales on that trip! Would I do it again? Absolutely!

  • Played in Hidden Waterfalls on Oahu (2015)

Our trip to Hawaii was incredible! My favorite part was our adventure into the rain forest, where we hiked to see some beautiful hidden waterfalls. Max took us to some places that those big tourist buses never get to see!

  • Ate at Gordon Ramsay's Restaurant (2016)

I’ve always been a big fan of the T.V. show Jr. Master Chef. Little did I know that I would get to eat at one of the hosts restaurants in Vegas this month. 

  • Went to The Olympics

Did you know that you cannot buy tickets to some events at the Olympics? You have to be a sponsor! Back in 2002 there were only a few sponsors that had tickets and I was lucky enough to have a brother, who was married to one of them. They invited me to ride in their van and the grand prize was the ladies figure skating final! Guess who went? :)

  • Put 200,000 miles on a car I bought new (2007)
Yup! I love to drive, and being nearly 1,000 miles away from hockey tournaments makes for putting a lot of miles on the wheels!


_________________________________________________________________________

So there you have it... my very own eulogy. Oh, and speaking of gratitude… I’m going to tease you with another glimpse into my beautiful day on the slopes. 

What are your top gratitudes from living your life???