Sunday, November 24, 2019

Pair Up

My 10-year-old self loved many a fall days – air slick with freedom, elbows slick from apple juices. An entire universe whirling by from the banana seat of my lustrous pink Schwinn.

Cricket symphonies. Picnic feasts. Chlorinated hair.


And then, I grew. From inches higher, the barnyard creek seemed far less adventurous than the latest episode of Little House on the Prairie. There were Teen issues to read, phone calls to make. Mascara became important (I was not yet privy to a waterproof formula).

And with the flip of an unseen calendar, I became an teenage girl.

Years later as a newly single 40-something-year-old, I’d tell of how I grew teary at the sight of the Grand Canyon. I wipe my eyes with the hem of my tee. I know, right? is what I say, and that my tears are of wonder, as you have to see it in person.

Right, he says, ignoring my sweaty head.

Thus returning to the era of living life far away from the observation deck, perfectly excited. Why hike when you can… bike?

Start small.

One of the secret tricks to habit formation is to pair a new habit with an already-established one. Want to finish a touring trip with your buddies one winter day? Martin will tackle it while he's running up the hill pushing me on my mountain bike warm-ups. Ready to try your hand at 5 affirmations? Say ’em in the shower.

Likewise, start small by attaching a short outdoor adventure to a routine you’re sure you won’t skip out on. If you know you’ve got to make a grocery run every week, tack on an extra hour to ride our bike there with a trail bag. Never want to miss a Sunday bike ride? Martin makes a picnic lunch to enjoy afterward.

Keep an adventure bag in the car.

He will always stuff a backpack with water, bug spray (and/or sunscreen), band-aids and a spare change of clothes for emergencies. This way, the next time we drive by a farmer’s market or a new-to-me part of the woods, we’ll have everything he needs for an impromptu adventure.

Pair up.

A bit of research is guaranteed to churn up a handful of activities in the area, so no need to go at it alone here. He checks the local community calendar often for outdoor-friendly events: a free pass at a nearby nature preserve, a short tour of the Capitol, day camps at the zoo. While education is of utmost importance, it’s always nice to have a helping hand to guide us along the way.