Wednesday, November 27, 2019

My Kind: Thanksgiving Traditions

 

Happy Thanksgiving, friends! Thanksgiving is my all-time favorite holiday (I’m quite certain the bulk of carbs play a role in this decision), and in an effort to remember this day, I wanted to write down my very, very favorite Thanksgiving traditions. Join me in reminiscing?

1. Board games. I could host a board game party any night of the week, but Thanksgiving is the one day a year that my friends/family humor me and play along. Bonus? Both my mother and my sisters love to laugh, so when we play CatchPhrase, oh, it’s a time.
2. Beige food. My family always gathers in time for an inordinate amount of food, and I laugh every year at the color-coordinated shade of beige that exists: mashed potatoes, stuffing, turkey, white frozen marshmallow salad, gravy and rolls. And before you call blaspheme, I’ll note that Martin made this Tiramisu for his Thanksgiving select occasion, so we’re not entirely neutral. Entirely.  
3. Road trips. Our families live a few hours apart, so when I pack up the boys on most holidays and spend a few hours road tripping to whatever destination we’re headed that year. It’s my favorite time with them – tunes on the speakers and (most of the time!) snow falling outside. Magical.
4. Leftovers. Every year I can remember, I’ve snacked on a leftover turkey and mayonnaise sandwich on white bread. It’s a pretty gross combination, but I loved it as a kid and it makes me so nostalgic for childhood family get-togethers, so I still indulge (with a bit of salt and pepper now that I’m older!).
5. Movie marathons. We’re not a big football family, but we love The Home Alone marathon that plays every year (Morgen and I can recite that entire movie). After eating and games, we snuggle up on couches and tune into whatever holiday movie is looping at the moment – and usually stay there until it plays… oh, three times. It’s a beautiful study in laziness, and I look forward to it every year.

What do you do on Thanksgiving?

I’ll be up East visiting my parents through the Holiday, but will catch you here on Friday for the first in a looong series of gift guides! We’re going to have a beautiful season, friends. Promise.