Friday, July 31, 2015

Home of The Brave



As I heard the national anthem being sung out loud, I couldn't contain the tears. Markus couldn’t wait to share his experiences—he wanted to say them right then and there. So we set aside the tour of camp for a moment and just listened to each other.
I was surprised that all the scouts in the camp wore their uniforms to participate in the parent night assembly. I was stunned by the heartfelt response that touched Markus to share his views, about choices made in life. It appeared that this particular scout award didn’t require deep thinking; the answers came easily to him he said. It also appeared that the Liahona award wasn't difficult; Anyone could complete it. In fact, there wasn’t a single boy in the troop who wasn’t motivated to finish one of these assignments and earn the award.


To Markus:

  • I’ll never forget the long hug that you gave me tonight before I left camp. I would have missed the Garrison flag that you wanted a picture of your troop in front of and the unveiling of it perfectly timed to the music with the lights and the scouts silhouetted with their arms in the scout salute. You helped me to learn the meaning of living in the land of the free. 
  • I appreciate how you took the time to show me where each of your merit badge stations were located and how excited you were to share your adventures at each one...how you enjoy life. How you remember people's names...how you see good in them...how you help me see the beauty in everything...how you help your friends and notice when they're sad and try to help...I appreciate how you use your God given gift to run to help your team take 2nd in the camp triathlon. 
  • I’m sorry that sometimes I forget to have fun. You are so good to remind me that LIFE is about having fun!
  • What I love most about you is your voice...your manners (you always say thank you)...the way you treat animals...the way you paint the beautiful things you see in nature...the way you sign up for things with so much certainty. 
  • I have you to thank for having the best job in the world...being your mom. And for believing in me and my dream to be a nurse.   I have you to thank for inspiring me to do what I love. 
  • Five words to describe you are: trustworthy, helpful, friendly, gregarious, and kind. 
  • I wouldn’t be the same without your musical ability to remember all the words to songs, (especially the songs you've been singing at camp all week...threw him out the window, the window, the second story window) your personality, your curly hair, your love of life and especially your hugs. I love you.