Monday, September 30, 2019

My Favorite Thing To Do

The Hows & Whys

This fall, I’ve written down a few goals for myself (I can’t wait to share them here!) – one of which has been to get some rest. I’ve been organizing jewelry onto hooks and clearing books from my nightstand and, gosh, there’s just something about fresh, new clean sheets, you know? So far, it’s working wonders to have a retreat that feels inviting but inspiring, and I’ve found myself heading to bed earlier and earlier knowing that a peaceful, uncluttered haven awaits me. 


This fall has been one of the busiest seasons yet. And it’s weird, because from the outside, my life looks very not-busy-at-all. I wake up at 7ish, make breakfast for Markus and get ready for work, reading books and studying for school. It’s one of my favorite parts of my day – so calm and peaceful and morning-like with no technology pings or alarms or reminders to pull us from the moment. And then I head to my work at 8 to sit down in a corner of the world with a massive mug and a matching to do list. I nearly always pack up by 5 and bring home some take-out (thank you, Chipotle, for sustaining the family), settling in for a night of dinner and showers and talking time, and then, after Markus goes to bed, it’s time for more school work. And that’s when things get hairy.




And of course that’s not a sustainable course of action. I know this. My heart knows it, and my gut knows it, which is why I get a ping of anxiety when a new assignment rushes in and it’s a new one I know I should submit right away, but know that I shouldn’t. Should-but-shouldn’t is the soundtrack playing in my head, looping unnecessary stress and playing sad songs no one wants to hear. So this month, my new goal is this: rest and rejuvenation. It seems fitting that I always seem to throw myself into the fire during fall – the bright, bold colors are ablaze and eventually give way to the calm of winter. But this year, I don’t want to wait for the white space that snow provides. I want to create it myself.
Here’s to rest and white and clean sheets and self-care. Here’s to fall goals, friends.