Monday, September 2, 2019

Thoughts On Help

Well, hello there.
I don’t know how to process large moments, grand gestures. In June, my dad turned 80, and he walked into a roomful of 30ish family gathered for his surprise birthday party and, after becoming startled and then grateful, he promptly accepted a bowl of chowder and I wasn't there but instead hid at home to take deep breaths for four, five minutes? Startled-and-then-grateful is a wide range of emotions to experience in a short three second span, and my brain needed some down time to recover.
And here I am again, startled-and-then-grateful.
My brain needs some down time to recover.
There is a tendency to accept our experiences as fact, to rely on one frame to tell a story, on one lens to narrate a perspective. This is a limiting way, in the way that we would miss the dance of the kaleidoscope if we looked for just one color. I’m trying not to do that here.
It’s hard.