Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sleepless

Last night in the wake of a string of events in my life, I found myself in an old familiar position: doubled over with stomach pain, and sleepless because my insides were wound up so tight. As I was reading about cardiologist Dr. Dean Ornish's book called Love & Survival: 8 Pathways to Intimacy & Health, he states what I already know:

“Love and intimacy are at the root of what makes us sick and what makes us well, what causes sadness and what brings happiness, what makes us suffer and what leads to healing. If a new drug had the same impact, virtually every doctor in the country would be recommending it for their patients. It would be malpractice not to prescribe it.”

He continues: “Anything that promotes a sense of isolation often leads to illness and suffering. Anything that promotes a sense of love and intimacy, connection and community is healing. Healing is a process of becoming whole. Even the words ‘heal’ and ‘whole’ and ‘holy’ come from the same root.” As each day, week, and month of my life- and motherhood fly by, I begin to understand why families and intimacy are part of Heavenly Father’s plan for us. Or should I say why it IS Heavenly Father’s plan for us. I am only getting glimpses of what love really is, of what faith really is: part of that Light comes from God and fills “the immensity of space” - that brings us healing, wholeness, and holiness. It’s the light and the love of the Savior that flowed through to me and helps heal my stomach and my heart.