Friday, December 9, 2011

A Good Book

One of my favorite gifts to give (and get) at Christmastime is a good book. Although I realize that the more organized among us have already finished their Christmas shopping, I’m guessing some of you are like me and still have some holiday scrambling to do. I’m hoping that I can share some of my favorite reads this year and then you can do the same. Maybe we can help each other scratch a few gifts off of our Christmas shopping list!


The Hunger Games Trilogy–I liked the first book best; it gave me that hazy book high hangover that I hardly ever get anymore, where I just want to reread the book over and over.


Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand–Biography of Louie Zamperini, an Olympian who spent years as a Japanese prisoner of war. The writing is compelling (and graphic sometimes), and the story is a sad one.


Here is my confession: I spend a good chunk of my reading time rereading old favorites. Comfort books, is what I call them in my head, books I have read and reread so many times that they are old friends and I pick them up knowing what to expect, and I’m not disappointed. Here are a few comfort books I reread in 2011: The Blue Castle, L.M. Montgomery; Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen. There are lots more. Anything I read as a teenager that I own a copy of, pretty much.

Phew! Okay. There are my suggestions. What are yours?