Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I Believe in Santa Claus


{Markus' First Christmas}
 As a brand new mom, I thought it might be better to skip the whole Santa thing, telling my son from the beginning the truth about those stuffed stockings and presents. Then, Christmas magic came back into my heart. It happened when my Morgen was 3 years old. We’d gone about our holiday, mostly ignoring Santa, until Christmas Eve, when my restless boy wouldn’t go to bed. “Let’s watch a movie. That will help you to sleep,” I suggested. A Christmas Eve on Sesame Street DVD was popped in and he sat, wide-eyed and far from sleep, through the entire movie. He was completely caught up in the skating, the children, Big Bird, the presents, and, of course, Santa! As the movie finished, my son turned to me and said, “Mommy….how does Santa Claus get down the chimney?” With a smile on my face and excitement in his eyes, I put my boy to bed. And, I decided I believed again. Santa Claus is not a person so much as he is an idea. He personifies caring, love, service and miracles. It was wondrous to my young mind that a red-clad jolly old elf would slide down my chimney to deliver gifts! So, I continued to encourage my young Santa believers. When they got older I had to tell them the real story of Santa: the legend born from the life of a charitable Saint. But, I had hoped that their willingness to believe, could create ‘Santa Claus Magic’ in the lives of those around them through service and good works.
I BELIEVE it will.