Friday, December 23, 2011

Greedy

The other day I asked my cute son, “So what do you want for Christmas?”

“Hmm, not really anything,” he replied, “I already have a lot. Give it to charity.”

Sixteen-year-old with an iPhone, an iPad and a PS3. He is well-clothed, well-fed and adored by his parents. His dad always makes time to shoot zombies on video games; I celebrate daily life with him in a thousand little ways.

Much is said this time of year about selfish kids penning mile long Christmas lists and demanding the latest toys and electronics. I’ll make the statement that kids do feel greedy at Christmas– they want more of our time.



My 12 year old wrote a Christmas wish list filled with items like:

  • make homemade gingerbread cookies 
  • read a Christmas story every night (check!)
  • go to mountains to snowboard (check!)
  • make gingerbread houses
  • cut paper snowflakes
  • Decorate Sugar cookies (check!)
  • set up the Christmas tree (check!)
  • Play games with cousins (check!)
  • light the candles (check!)
  • it goes on….
  


I don’t think my son’s list is unusual. Children love the magic of the Christmas season; gifts are just a small part of the celebrations.

Now don’t get me wrong; I love presents. I delight in finding just the right surprise and I am often so excited that I can scarcely keep a secret.


I’m certainly not suggesting any child with a Christmas list is selfish. Dreaming of a gift outside of usual purchases is part of the magic of childhood. When else can a child ask for a new Lego set?

“Entitlement” is another negative word applied to today’s children. It seems unfair to label an entire generation as selfish and lazy. I suggest our children are entitled– to our time. I’m a defender of kids as much as I’m a defender of teenagers. Kids are good,– it’s only we adults who mess up the world; who turn Christmas into a commercial frenzy. I write this as a reminder to myself this season– if I’m too busy for my children, I’m simply too busy.

Now off to mix up three batches of gingerbread…we’ve got a list to tackle.