Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Good Reading

I always appreciate it when someone tells me why they like a book and what they learned from it.
If you've seen my Good Reads page, you'll know that my taste in books is as diverse as my taste in music. When it comes to my playlist, I can go from Enya or Allison Krauss to T-pain and Loverboy. What my playlists have in common is the ability to move me. To make me roll down the car window and sing along, or simply to feel alive.  
The same goes with books. I don't have a favorite genre or author. I just want to be transported or cracked open a little. I want to see myself - my dreams and fears and heartbreaks and hopes - reflected back to me in a new way. Here's something I was reading tonight: 
"People wait.
They wait for the elusive day when they'll finally have enough time (guess what? - you never will), enough education (there's always more to know), enough money (no matter how much you make, someone will always have more) . . . 
People wait until that fateful day when they wake up and realize that while they were sitting around paying dues, earning their keep, waiting for that elusive 'perfect time' their entire life has passed them by."
Not only did the "earning their keep" get my attention in the most uncomfortable way - it also made me re-examine some old thoughts.
I love this. It's the one-two punch of "Show up and be seen. Here's the plan."  I love the author's idea and I'm a complete convert to his plan: Serve, Thank, Ask, Receive, Trust. 
I'll be back later with some thoughts on another book that I just finished. I hope you enjoy the moon tonight. If I could I'd be out by a lake looking at the reflection of it.  
************************************

{Crazy game vs. Juan Diego last night, two of their players were ejected from the game!}