Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Oh, Pioneer

I just finished re-reading Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now". It helps me to become more aware of where thoughts come from, and how to deal with them. He suggests: 

* Start with awareness - I have learned to separate the thoughts I think from the person I am. I try not to spend a lot of time focusing on Identity....and what can be unfortunate is the flat out lies I have been known to tell myself. (I have another post coming on this soon.) 

* Take baby steps. Sometimes I see a problem in my life and I set out to conquer it, when I really do not have the strength or wisdom yet to do it. What can I work on and succeed at today? I may not be able to wipe out the entire thing, but what small part can I work on. I love working in my yard. It is a constant reminder to me that all things grow with a little care. And time. While I can't expect the whole yard to look lovely all at once, I can trim a few roses here, and pull a few weeds there until pretty soon, it looks like a small retreat. It takes hard work and discipline. 

*  Try to view all things as practice. When I decide to try to do something today, it's still okay if I fail. Today is practice, not the end of the world. Trying to better myself  doesn't need to be about a win/lose scenario. For example, Tolle suggests the next time that waiting for someone comes your way, to practice being better at the power of now...ask yourself, "How can I be present, right here in this moment?" And then do it. Whether it is waiting for someone to give me a ride somewhere or in line at the bank. Practicing being in the now can make the time more enjoyable and when the bank teller or my ride finally comes and they say "Sorry to have kept you waiting." I can honestly tell them, "I wasn't waiting, I was enjoying myself." 

When I was giving Morgen a ride to work one night the high school marquee read: 

"Time that you enjoy wasting, is not wasted."

My mom invited us to join her after hockey camp today, up the canyon where my great- grandmother lived. She's planned a picnic and has some stories to tell us about our ancestor who helped build the roads for Brigham Young and the pioneers when they crossed the plains over a hundred and sixty years ago. I intend to enjoy every minute of it. Happy Pioneer Day. 




________________

Post update:

Markus not only lost his water bottle at hockey camp today, but his mouth guard as well. He was kind of upset that he has to mow the lawn again to earn the money to buy a new one. Poor little guy!