Sunday, October 9, 2016

Someone I Love Was Born Today


{My brother Adam - chance taker, adventure seeker and fiercely loyal friend.}
Pulling up memories is a strange task. The big things come back easily, the day we spent surfing, Darlin coming home from the hospital and you ran away because you wanted a little brother instead of a sister, you breaking your arm playing broom ball, your wedding day and the day your son Erik was born. Our road trips, you riding your motorcycle to my wedding, you coming to see me after I had Morgen, your bad bullet bike accident, your first real house, your second marriage. Along with countless random holiday memories. Like when you were maybe seven-years-old and upon having your birthday gifts pulled out of a bag behind your back, with Mom saying "Surprise" every time she would lift the gift over your shoulder. And your face looking surprised each and every time, never losing its hilarity to those who love you. 

It's also a bunch of little bits and fragments. Your kook-a-roo cowlick hair that no amount of LA looks gel could tame. Your love of GI Joe (who stole my Barbie's shoes) and trains and experimenting with explosives. The affliction that we don't share; a ridiculous spelling sensitivity most notably expressed when you were writing a poster for the door to our dressing room and wrote the same part of the word "beware" twice. At that time I was spelling it for you and we were interrupted by Laura spraying my hair with enough hairspray that I'm surprised the EPA didn't show up at the door. I told you to spell it again and the result "B E W A R E W A R E FO DOG" you posted was remembered for, well, a long time. 

I remember the names of your girl friends, Jenny, Stephanie, Cindy, and Nikki. As well as your real friends, Spencer, Jim, Shandell and David. I remember mom and dad reading to you, "I will not eat the beets. I do not like the beets." There were summers in the sprinkler and tree house and trips to Duschutes River. Winters building snow forts, sledding and then years for cheering for you from the stands as you played hockey. 

As expected of big brothers, you were an intimidating presence who made it difficult to have a boy over or a phone call in peace. And you have turned into a guy who is cool, and wise beyond his years, full of life and adventure and who I love. There are many things I'm grateful for in life, but you are one of my greatest joys. 

My wish for you over the next year is that you'll continue to pave your own way so I can be inspired by your bravery. That you'll keep working hard and kicking some butt in all that you do so I can continue to be inspired by your drive and intelligence. That you'll stay handsome and strong and keep being kind to people who've fallen on hard times. Because in Adam's world, homeless guys get a slice of hot pizza, everyone gets treated with dignity and big tips and I get to be the little sister of the coolest guy there ever was. 

As you come closer to the end of your 40's I hope you know how proud I am to call you my brother and my friend. Happy birthday, now if you could run out and find my Barbie shoe, we'll call it even. Love you, Atom.