Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Sleepless in SL

{Markus and friends}


Monday was the last day of fall break and we took full advantage of it. Hitting the skate parks and skating rinks in full force. I'm kind of enjoying this golden fall weather right now and love looking out my kitchen window at all the colored leaves. I worked the night shift last night and had one of the most horrific experiences I've seen yet. This first time mom had every intention of having a vaginal birth and her doctor tried everything he could to let her, including an episiotomy, vacuum extractor and ultimately ended with a cesarean section. Her pelvic size and babies head just didn't match. In the recovery room she hemorrhaged, and if you're not familiar with a postpartum hemorrhage let me show you...

{my patient lost 1580 ml of blood}
So she was somewhere between the lower left two photos. I haven't seen that much blood all in one place since, well, ever. It was a scary experience for her and although I gave her all the drugs I had and applied continuous pressure to her uterus, replacing her blood lost with IV fluids and giving her oxygen until she started to come out of shock I still felt like it was a traumatic experience. I know I need to get some sleep and I will feel better, I just wish I could stop replaying it in my head.