Sunday, October 30, 2016

happy birthday ivy

{Dear Sis} 
Thank you for being born 6th and not 5th because someone like me had to be the older sister and clearly with my bossy nature I’m better equipped to handle that responsibility.  Thank you for always being so agreeable whenever I made you do something, wear something, or say something you didn’t understand just to get a laugh. 
Thank you for being 3 inches to the left when you launched that battery across the basement to try and scare me because if you had not been 3 inches to the left the scar I have above my eye from that D battery might have hit between my eyes and I might not be as smart or musically talented as I am today.
Thank you for making that mix tape we used to listen to as kids when we shared a room and accepting Kirk Cameron as your boyfriend just so I could have Ricky Schroder as my boyfriend while we watched Silver Spoons reruns on TV instead of doing home-school.
Thank you for tolerating the fact that I have recently started introducing you as my older sister to strangers just to see the look of confusion that crosses people’s faces.
Thank you for almost but not actually fainting from low blood sugar in those moments right after I walked out of the temple as my maid of honor at my wedding because you forgot to eat that day. 
Thank you for giving me your secret chicken casserole recipe and I won’t tell anyone you don’t actually eat any of it. Oh, oops. 
Thank you for making me laugh every single time I talk to you on the phone like last time when we each described in detail our five step technique for perfect house cleaning.
Thank you for starting the anti birthday card tradition between us in years past. 


Thank you for taking that impromptu trip to Sun Valley with me eighteen years ago and for allowing me the great pleasure of taking you to Despo's and Gretchen's and we talked and laughed so much we were hoarse and could barely speak on the car ride home except to bust out into random songs from when we were kids.  And why have we never taken a picture of us together since this one from 2015?  Hmmmmm?  Your fault.



Thank you for always being supportive and bragging about me to perfect strangers. I could never do that. Thank you for being the strongest woman of humility I know and for showing me time and again how very nice and generous you are. You’re really good at that.  


{Tori, mom and Ivy ~ May 2016}
Thank you for not caring when the kids interrupt me five times in five minutes when I’m on the phone with you and for listening to me talk about things that help me and always keeping my confidence.   
Happy Birthday Sis, I love ya as much as I loved my curly hair in 1988. 
Your *younger* sister, 
xoxo,
Brendi-Boo