Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day

Morgen tried out his new fishing pole today. With the very first cast he caught the first fish of the day! He was so excited and made sure that I put it on ice so I could cook it at home for him later. My dad grabbed his net and helped pull it out of the pond, although it was so small I think he could have handled it himself.


Max kept trying different things, worms, sparkly clay, bread, but to no avail. He asked me later if I thought fishing was about skill or patience and I told him I thought it was a little of both.


Vivian Park, Provo Canyon



Aria didn't mind that she wasn't catching anything, she was just having fun watching the sun reflect off the water. And pretending the fairies were dancing on it!




Cole was all business...my dad has taught him a lot about fishing and he caught a fish eventually as well. As the kids were all fishing, the adults were all roasting hot dogs over the fire. As soon as I had a chance I borrowed Max's pole and tried my fishing skills, making sure to watch for the sheriff, as the pond at V.P is only for children and handicapped people. I only made a few casts but I like the challenge to see how far I can make it. I remember fishing with my mom once in Sun Valley when I was a teenager and she would hand me the pole to put the worm on and then cast it. Working as a team like that we caught our limit within about 20 minutes. We had a fish fry that night and I remember eating the trout and thinking that it was the best fish that I had ever tasted. Fun memory. My mom reminded me about it today, "Remember that time in SV...."





I saw this man out fly fishing in the Provo River, when we were leaving and I had to take his picture. Relaxing way to spend the holiday.

Here are my top 10 Labor Day quotes:

10. "Without labor nothing prospers". ~Sophocles
9. "God sells us all things at the price of labor." ~Leonardo da Vinci
8. "If any man tells you he loves America, yet hates labor, he is a liar. If any man tells you he trusts America, yet fears labor, he is a fool." ~Abraham Lincoln
7. "All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be
undertaken with painstaking excellence." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
6. "All the so-called "secrets of success" will not work unless you do." ~Author
Unknown
5. "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work
the more I have of it." ~Thomas Jefferson
4. "I've got a theory that if you give 100 percent all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." ~Larry Bird
3. "The difference between try and triumph is a little umph." ~Author Unknown
2. "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." ~Thomas Edison
1. "Labor Day is a glorious holiday because your child will be going back to school the next day. It would have been called Independence Day, but that name was already taken." ~Bill Dodds







Enjoy your Labor Day Weekend...As parents you never really have a day off, but take a few minutes this weekend to take a look at the reason most of you work so hard--and enjoy that time with the family!