Monday, September 14, 2009

Questions?

Today was a sad day at Markus' elementary school. He learned that a little girl named Robyn, a first grade student in his class, died Friday from an illness.

The school social worker, Linda, met with the class and held a discussion in the class room. The school sent home a note encouraging me to take time to "talk to your child about THIS". What exactly does that mean...this? Robyn, her illness, her death? What her family must be feeling? How in the world am I supposed to know how to discuss any "feelings and questions that they might have"?!!! The note also said to feel free to contact the school if I have any concerns or questions. Oh, and that they appreciated my continued support of the school. Signed, The Principal.

What the heck?!! When I was driving the boys home from school Markus pulled the note out of his backpack and handed it to me over the seat. I was so saddened, shocked, concerned and overwhelmed with emotions. How had she died? Was it the swine flu, or some thing else? How are her parents, siblings, and friends feeling, and dealing with this? What could I do to help? I had to pull over, and breathe. Just breathe.

When I talked to Markus about what Linda had said in his class, he didn't remember. He said that she was going to read a book to them about death but that she had to leave so she didn't read it. I called the school and got the answering machine. I left a message for the school secretary. She hasn't returned my call. I looked online in the obituaries and found a lot of other sadness, but nothing more about little Robyn. I feel so helpless, I wish I knew what I could do to help this family that is dealing with such a huge loss. I can not even imagine.

I have only ever lost my grandparents, and they were all ready for it to be their time. My friend Katie lost her son to cancer when he was five, and when I went to his viewing, I couldn't even stand to look at the casket. I just hugged Katie, and she whispered in my ear, "This sucks!" and we both started sobbing. I am not even sure if this is making any sense, because I am crying again, just remembering it.

I don't have any answers to any of these questions. I do know that Katie is still remembering her little boy and that she has had two little boys since then. They did not replace him...but she finds joy in the little things about her boys and appreciates every moment she has with them. She knows that life is precious.