Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Moving

The other day while I was driving the boys to school I received a text message from a friend of mine asking for help:

“Hi! I'm quickly realizing how much stuff we have to pack in boxes and we only have until Wednesday afternoon. If you have time to stop by between now and Wednesday afternoon we could use some serious reinforcements to help box our things up. We really appreciate any time you can spare!!! Thank you and love you!!! ”
We all hate to ask, but the truth is sometimes we find ourselves in need and it just doesn’t seem right to deny others the opportunity to serve while we sit there moving, or needing a ride or a friends listening ear. I went home from work that day and cheerfully made my way over to her house, and a batch of this amazing zucchini bread. I was thrilled that my friend would ask and that her simple request turned what would have been yet another day of menial labor—into an act of deliberate and loving service. Service which I was not only able to share with my family and hers, but also with my sister who is staying with me as well. I was also humbly reminded that perhaps I should perform all menial tasks in my life as labors of love.

All because my friend had asked.

Perhaps part of the reason my friend was not afraid to ask (even as badly as she hated to) is because on a few occasions in the past (even as badly as I hated to) I’ve texted her and asked her if she was free to check my garage to make sure that I had closed it (or whatever). Sometimes she was free and ran over to check (and it was closed, I just freak out sometimes since I have had three bikes stolen out of it). Sometimes she’s not and she tells me so (also why I have the nerve to ask–she’s not afraid to tell me “No.” I know not to take it personally when she does).

We’re all aware of so many wonderfully inspiring stories of people who were moved to call, visit or take food to someone who was truly in need at a particular moment. I have complete confidence in the Spirit. But I failed Mind-reading 101. Our lives are so full of things to do and places to be. It’s easy to be distracted by the busyness of it all–church, work, home, play, whatever. Some of us need a less subtle hint.

I appreciate the courtesy of someone who is not afraid to tell me what she needs. And I will miss her living so close. I will especially miss her adorable little daughter blowing me kisses whenever I leave.