Thursday, August 9, 2012

"She Believed She Could So She Did"

Carol gave this to me tonight and I cried.

The depth to that statement is so profound to me!

"She believed she could, so she did."
So simple.

But wouldn't it be great if it were that simple. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Maybe it's because so many things I've encountered...conversations with other people, prayers with God, thoughts I've reflected on, words I've read...it's all related to one thing...

Dreams.
What keeps us from them?

When I read that, it explained it all in one sentence.

How many times do we as women----
daughters, sisters, friends, mothers...wish we could do something.

Say to ourselves...if only.

If only I looked that way, if only I had that talent, if only I could do that, if only....

How many of us have a dream, a love, a passion...that we keep tucked away. We tell ourselves "not now" or "I never could" or "I'm scared"...

That last one seems most common.

But it's a lie.
Intended to keep us captive in our thoughts and in ourselves.

Meant to keep us from trying....
from fulfilling a dream that was placed in our hearts
for a reason.

We have to believe that we can...
That we have this passion, this talent, this gift...
for a reason and with that, comes the ability to fulfill it.

And I have to let my heart be known.
Our passions let out from the secret place we've kept them in. Just as my friends encourage them in me and in one another. To lend confidence when it's lacking, encouragement when there is doubt,
and continue cheering through the success.

One day, when I look back on my life, I want my boys to be able to say they had a confident mom. A mom who encouraged them in their dreams and talents. Who taught them to encourage others in their dreams too. A mom who taught them not to compete or compare, but to love themselves and each other.

I want them to see a woman who not only said she could, but did....

...So they will know they can too.