Monday, August 13, 2012

Tips

"Tips, Tricks and Techniques in speaking to troubled youth without an interpreter, or How to tap dance in a minefield without being blown up." - C. Ramsey

I learned these one line phrases today to use when working with my son. The hard part is remembering to use them all with empathy.

probably so

I know

Nice try

I bet it feels that way

Bummer, how sad

Thanks for sharing that

Don't worry about it now

What do you think you are going to do?

I don't know. What do you think?

That's an option

I bet that's true

Maybe you'll like what we have for the next meal better

What do you think I think about that?

I'm not sure how to react to that. I'll have to get back to you on it.

I'll let you know what will work for me

And my personal favorite:

I'll love you wherever you live


I also learned it is healthy to let him experience natural consequences once or twice. Watching how this changes his perspective is mind boggling. I am to observe what happens next. I'm wondering what Morgen has learned from his natural consequences.