Thursday, September 12, 2013

Lights Out


Last night I tucked my boys into bed.


Markus always says "mommy" right before I shut off the light. That's how I know something has been on his mind. Tonight he wanted to talk about the events on 9/11. He was sad about the people who died. I was sad too. We talked and I could see the worry on his face melt away. Max had brought it up when I took the boys for ice cream after I got off work at the hospital. They had wanted to go down the "Long" hallway on the way to the cafeteria and as we walked the 700 foot long corridor Max told me how he had learned at school today how many people had been rushed to the hospital that day in New York. I had been thinking about it earlier in the day as well since I hadn't been needed on our unit so I had "floated" to the ICU. It was an intense day and I couldn't help but think about how crazy it must have been in those days and weeks following the attacks in NYC. All of the doctors and nurses that worked around the clock to help those who had been injured truly amazes and inspires me.


The most important things are said right before I shut off the light. My boys tell me about something their teacher said, a scary story, drama with friends, a pain, a sickness, a tummy ache, a headache, something that made them happy or sad or whatever. I hope I will always be around so I can kiss my boys goodnight and I hope that Markus will always feel comfortable asking me about whatever is on his mind right before the light goes out. Even when he is a big boy.

I hope when the time is right Morgen will be a husband who will help his wife feel safe before she goes to bed at night. I hope he will reassure her, comfort her, push her, encourage her, and love her for all of her beautiful talents.