Sunday, September 8, 2013

My Best Year Yet...

started with a treat. My friend Shawna is seriously in love with Kneaders french toast. I mean, she wakes up on Saturday mornings craving it. Since this french toast is heaven in your mouth but not to your waist line, she reserves our breakfast outings for special occasions. And then… well, it is definitely worth the extra calories. :) For my birthday this year, she decided to give me the bread and syrup to make it at home. I googled the recipe and voila! Kneaders divulged the recipe on Good Things Utah in 2005. So this is the real deal. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Kneaders Chunky Cinnamon French Toast

1 loaf Kneaders Chunky Cinnamon Bread cut in 8 slices (You can substitute this recipe for Cinnamon Swirl Bread – but leave out the raisins. Or you could use any store bought cinnamon swirl bread)
8 eggs
3 cups milk
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons butter

Butter a 9 x 13 glass baking dish generously. Place the bread flat in the baking dish. Mix all remaining ingredients, reserving the butter and pour over the bread.  (Update: I actually didn't pour over the bread.  It worked out better to dip the bread thoroughly in the egg mixture, then place flat in the baking dish – too eggy the other way.)   Cut butter into pieces and dot over the top. Cover. Refrigerate over night or at least one hour (I think an hour is plenty, and if you still decide to pour the egg mixture over the top, you do not need all of it). Bake 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees. Serves 8.

Kneaders Caramel Syrup









She also took me to get a pedicure last night. I feel so spoiled to have such a sweet friend!