Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Science of healing; Art of compassion


{Gayle: Capstone Preceptor}

·        I contacted my preceptor, Gayle to arrange the clinical shifts for this semester.  I am required to work with her 100 hours.  I then give my instructor the schedule and arrange a time to meet with her and to get feedback on my performance. I am responsible to contact Gayle before the shift if I am ill, and arrange with her a time to make up those missed hours.

·        I also have clinical objectives for the experience which I can discuss with Gayle or obtain the information on their own.  I provided Gayle with a copy of these clinical objectives. I will submit a journal to my instructor addressing these objectives.  The clinical objectives are not “hands on” skill based but are a reflection of the didactic objectives which focus on the student gaining knowledge and insights regarding organizations, leadership, management/delegation skills, and strategies to facilitate working effectively with others.

·        Each clinical day, I will have a Preceptor Evaluation of Student Form.  Gayle fills this out and offers constructive advice in areas she feels I could/should improve in. The criteria on this evaluation form are both skill based and behavioral based.   This is a learning experience and her feedback is very helpful to my education. This Preceptor Evaluation of Student Form can be given in a sealed envelope to give to my instructor or faxed to the SLCC nursing department.  If she feels that I am not performing at a “satisfactory” level in any criteria, Gayle will note this on this evaluation form and feel free to call my instructor as well.

·        I am in turn able to, under her direct supervision; perform any skills within the RN’s scope of practice.   Some examples would include: physical assessment, medication administration, clean and sterile dressing changes, catheter placement, tracheostomy care, and IV insertion.  A strong emphasis on prioritization and delegation of patient care would be very beneficial to the student.

My first such clinical shift was today and I was very nervous. I woke up early, didn't eat breakfast before driving to the hospital and promptly fainted at the first epidural given of the day. When I woke up on the floor with sweet Gayle instructing me to "stay down" I couldn't remember what had happened. When the anesthesiologist informed me that he had been instructing me on the insertion of the catheter into the epidural space, I turned very pale and hit the garbage can on the way down. It wasn't the first epidural that I have ever seen done, just the first one on an empty stomach. How was your day?