Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sixteen Candles



I am writing this post for my son.  He is only sixteen years-old, but he is maturing so fast. I wish him the innocence of his childhood, the ability to laugh at himself, a spiritual connection with God, and the desire to see the world.  That being said, here goes my top sixteen wishes for you:

1. When I look at you I see my heart.

I never imagined I had this much love to give until I had a baby.  I never thought I could possibly have any more to give until I had you. You have taught me that my heart and my capacity to love is not fixed, it grows and grows and grows.



2. Explore

Get outside as much as possible.  Breathe the fresh air.  Play tag.  Ride bikes.  Skip.  Hop.  Jump.  Run.  Climb.  NOW.


3. Accept others for who they are.

In an age where bullying has taken precedence amongst our youth, I hope I have taught you to see the value in differences – bottom line: It doesn’t matter.  Power lies in friendship.


4. Always keep moving forward.

There will be times in your life when you feel stuck.  It’s up to YOU to decide where you’ll go.  Keep on trekking.  Go, go, go kid.  You’ll move mountains.




5. You are Money Mayweather.

To me – you really do have superhuman strength and speed, the ability to defy the laws of gravity, and immunity to almost all forms of harm.  How else would you be able to move down the ice into the opponent, attack the puck out of it, “check” him – smack right into the boards and get up and walk away unscathed?  Answer: You are Money.  Case closed.


6. It’s okay to cry.

Crying is a natural emotional response to feelings.  We all do it.  Men cry.  Women cry.  Children cry.



7. Always be proud of who YOU are.

You may not be the quarterback of the football team, the homecoming king, or the lead singer in the band – but really now, who cares? As long as you stay true to who you are, everything else will fall into place.  Captain. 



8. No respectable girl wants to see your penis.

Since you are growing up in the technological age of iPhone and texting, you’ll inevitably come to learn the term “sexting.”  Please let me tell you now that sexting is a big, big, BIG mistake. Promise yourself never ever, ever, ever, ever send a picture of a private body part to anyone.  Ever.



9. I wish that you will remember and I taught you enough from a young age how to properly put on pants. One leg in, then the other, pull ’em up at least to your hips, zip, button, buckle. Done.


10. Before you leave for hockey/mission/college, you already are acquiring some skill at performing the following tasks: laundry (separating, washing, drying, folding), making your bed, dusting, mowing the lawn, cooking, grocery shopping, vacuuming, emptying the dishwasher, sweeping the floor, cleaning your bedroom, and watering the plants. You will thank me. 



11. Be a responsible driver.

I have no problem with you hitting the open road and taking your G-Wagon on a cross country adventure.  In fact, I will applaud your independence and desire to see the country from sea to shining sea – but please don’t make me book a 3:00 a.m. flight to Heaven knows where to visit you in the hospital.



12. Live your passion.

Keep working and achieving.  Never stop.



13. You will be my son forever.

There is an old saying that goes, “A son is a son till he takes a wife…” As you grow, I pray you will always remember I love you and that when the time comes when you want to be married, you will meet the girl that you want to tell everything to and want to share every moment of your life with her.



14. Love your Mother Earth.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.  Going green isn’t just a trend, it’s a way of life we are all adopting.  You need to be aware of how you live, shop, and consume.  An eco-friendly lifestyle will positively impact your health, your community, and your world.  Got that?  Now go hug a tree.



15. Be a brother.  Be a friend.  Be a protector.


16. Take the road less traveled.

May you always try to make the right choices, not the easiest ones.  Have the courage to lead, not follow.  And to dream bigger than most others think is possible. 

+ 1 wish to grow on...

Wherever you are in life, you can come home.  I will love you – always.